Saturday, October 3, 2009

LAWNMOWER MAN

Phil got up at 6am today, he doesn't normally get up this early but he was excited, you see, Phil bid on a ride-on mower on ebay and WON! Hurrah! Lucky Phil! He was supposed to go pick it up at 11am (with Jo, to give her a bit more sleep), but couldn't wait, so went earlier instead (luckily Jo was allowed to sleep).

Here it is! It's an 18 horse power, V-twin with a 42 inch cutting blade. . . whatever that means??? All I know is that I finally got control of the whipper snipper (that's STRIMMER to you English people). . . hurrah! I've never been allowed to use it before. Perhaps I'll get a go on the ride-on mower if I let him buy a bobcat. . . hmmmm.

We set out to the land today, to fix up the back garden (for my English counterparts) - back yard (for all you aussies out there). Took us nearly 5 hours!

Before and after shot of the grass. . . was a little long before we started.



Phil on his pride-and-joy

The finished product


I was up the top of the hill, whipper snipping away when Phil trundled up on the mower. I asked if he could go along the top fence again with the mower, as the whipper snipping was a bit tough up there. So he did. Got about half-way along before hitting quite a large clumpy piece of grass which sent the mower wheels spinning. . . this generated quite a bit of heat at the front of the mower, which, of course set the grass on fire! I wish I'd taken a photo of the grass burning underneath the front of the mower, but rather unfortunately I was too busy trying to stop out the fire!

2 comments:

  1. Boys & their toys!!!Ha ha would have liked to see the pic of the grass burning under the mower...a funniest home video moment perhaps??
    The end result looks very good guys.
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Phil didn't think it was so funny when he couldn't get the mower started afterwards. . . he thought he'd broken it on it's first outing. . . turns out he just forgot to disengage the blades before trying to turn it on! Doh! He was mighty relieved when it started up again (even though it had black scorch marks up the front and the plastic had melted ever-so-slightly!)

    ReplyDelete